Before building the final assembly, I wanted to test various hardware elements. I had already successfully used the Bluetooth module, but admittedly I didn’t have much experience with multiplexers. I used a CD4051 multiplexer, which provides 8 analogue inputs from 1 channel on the Arduino but felt I needed to prototype a circuit on the

20161208_011534

CD4051 setup with LDRs

breadboard before building a final assembly.

The hardware is shown to the left, along with a link to the Arduino code. This code uses the highest LDR value to create an X value, in a similar way to the previous example, which creates X and Y values which Max MSP can use.

mux3_code

I also wanted to test how to connect LDRs in a series, so multiple LDRs will produce one value. The reasoning behind this was that light is emitted not in a straight

20161208_125343

Sketch of LDRs

line, but in a cone, and by creating a larger surface for each XY value, I will eliminate the possibility of multiple LDRs firing the same value and creating inaccurate XY readings. Since LDRs, unlike LEDs work in both directions, I simply connected 4 LDRs in a square with each leg in contact with the next one (see picture).

cover

LDRs in series

This was the final stage of the hardware and software testing, which leaves me to create the final hardware for my light based instrument, which I have decided to call the SoundShine.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s